Cake made with Green Tomatoes
Log In to Rate This
Occasions: Any, Harvest, Tea Party
Prep Time: 0 hr 20 min
Cook Time: 0 hr 40 min
Main Ingredients: Eggs, Vegetables
- 4 cups chopped green tomatoes
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour, 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon and 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup raisins, softened
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Heat over to 350
- Grease and flour a cake pan (9x13 or two small rounds)
- Sprinkle 1 tbsp salt on tomatoes and let drain for 10 min. Rinse and drain again.
- Mix butter and sugar til smooth, then incorporate eggs.
- Combine flour, salt, soda, spices. Stir in raisins and nuts.
- Combine with butter mixture, blend well.
- Add drained green tomatoes, mix again.
- Pour into prepared pan(s). Bake 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
Near the end of summer, we often have green tomatoes and this is one way to use and enjoy them.
Consider also making green tomato chutneys etc.