Best Fish and Chips
Log In to Rate This
Techniques: Deep Fry
Prep Time: 0 hr 30 min
Cook Time: 0 hr 15 min
Main Ingredients: Fish
Sourced: This is a Tyler Florence recipe from the old day! http://www.tylerflorence.com
- 4 large russet potatoes
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 (12 ounce) can soda water
- 1/2 cup rice flour, for dredging
- 2 (8 ounce) cod fish fillets or 2 (8 ounce) haddock fillets, cut in 1/2 on an angle
- Canola oil, for deep frying
- Malt vinegar, for serving
- TARTAR SAUCE
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon capers, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cornichon, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2lemon, juiced
- 1 dash hot sauce
- Heat 3 inches of the oil in a deep fryer. Or you can heat 3 inches of oil in a deep pot. Peel the potatoes and cut them into chips, about the size of your index finger.
- Put the potatoes in the oil. Fry the chips for 2 to 3 minutes; they should not be crisp or fully cooked at this point. Remove the chips with a spider strainer or slotted spoon, to a paper towel-lined platter to drain.
- Put the chips back in the fryer for 4 to 5 minutes until crispy and brown. Take out and drain.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, and egg. Pour in the soda water and whisk to a smooth batter.
- Spread the rice flour on a plate. Dredge the fish pieces in the rice flour and then dip them into the batter, letting the excess drip off.
- Now submerge the battered fish into the bubbling oil for 4 to 5 minutes until crispy and brown.
- Remove and drain the fish with the chips on paper towels; season lightly with salt. Serve wrapped in a newspaper cone with malt vinegar and/or tartar sauce.
- Tartar Sauce (about 1-1/4 cups): In a small mixing bowl, combine all tartar sauce ingredients. Chill before serving to let the flavors combine.
Always a family pleaser!
Recipe Posted by AgnesE109